SunMate Orthopedic Cushions
All of our standard SunMate and SunMate FRG cushion and sheet sizes are now available online, except for 37"x82" sheets and whole buns. Please contact us if you would like to place an order for those products, for fabric by-the-yard or roll, for slipcovers not listed on this site, or to place a custom order. Check our Discount SunMate inventory to see if the size you are looking for is available in our overstock, and save up to 50% off. Volume discount pricing is also available. Call for details.
High Performance, Pressure Relief and Impact Absorption
SunMate cushions provide high impact energy absorption with soft pressure properties. It is the material of choice for the most demanding seating conditions: wheelchair, military aircraft, motorcycle, race car and more.
SunMate has slow spring-back. It contours to the body and slowly returns to its original shape once pressure is removed. SunMate’s open-cell structure maximizes airflow to reduce heat buildup, while its viscoelastic properties allow it to uniformly distribute pressure and absorb impact energy to alleviate sitting fatigue. SunMate is one of the most comfortable, versatile, and economical cushion materials on the market today.
Health Benefits of SunMate
- Slow-flow body contouring provides uniform weight distribution for pressure relief.
- Support capability alleviates fatigue from long-term sitting or lying down.
- SunMate effectively absorbs 90% of normal-use impact energy, greatly reducing fatigue caused by sudden jolts or constant vibration.
Size and Support Ranges
- Standard, custom, and bun sizes are available, as well as wedges and contoured cushions.
- Ten pressure support levels accommodate any body weight or special weight-distribution need: XX-Soft, Extra-Soft, Soft, Medium-Soft, Medium, Medium-Firm, Firm, Extra-Firm, XX-Firm and Hard (T50E).
- SunMate is lightweight with a density of 5 lb/ft3.
- SunMate is an elastomeric, polyurethane, viscoelastic foam with open-cell structure.
- SunMate retains its physical properties beyond normal temperature ranges.
- A fabric-finished cushion can withstand years of use.
- Waterproof coatings and slipcovers may be purchased separately.
Fire Retardant Options
In a fire, SunMate burns with naturally low toxicity because it is formulated with 33-36% natural, plant-based ingredients.
- SunMate does not contain fire-retardants, but a non-halogenated fire-retardant can be added upon request.
- SunMate passes TB 117 without the use of fire-retardant additives, coatings or covers.
- SunMate FRG (containing a non-halogenated fire-retardant) passes FAR 25.853(a) and the British Standard 5852 Part 2/1324 Source#5 (Crib 5) burn tests.